Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Zucchini Bread

We have had a lot of Zucchini this summer, which is great roasted, sautéed or in a stir fry...but a few times we didn't pick them before they got HUGE.


Zucchinis do not taste very good when they get this big...so you have to make ZUCCHINI BREAD!

I adapted this recipe from Allrecipes.com: Mom's Zucchini Bread.  My substitutions and changes are in  italics.
Ingredients
  • 3 cups Flour (I used whole wheat flour or 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 regular)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (I used Applesauce instead...did you know you can substitute applesauce for oil in baking! I buy the unsweetened kind)
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar (I used 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown)
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini (I used a LOT more than this...but the second batch I think I used too much and it was really mushy. I think you can easily do 3-4 cups and be fine!)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (Didn't add this)
  • Optional: Chocolate Chips :)

  • Directions

  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F 
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. 
  4. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. 
  5. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  6. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. 
  7. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
Notes


  • The second time I made this, I made 1 loaf of bread about a dozen muffins, they were amazing! You will have to adjust the cook time, I think they took about 20-25 minutes.
  • I also added chocolate chips to one of the loaves and that was pretty amazing!
I cut the Zucs into chunks...
And used the grating attachment on my food processor...clearly this piece is not going to fit!
You can use too much zucchini. I used 5-6 cups the second time I made it and it was way too moist. I should have made two batches :) 3-4 cups is perfect. 

Stir in the zucchini goodness...

Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the bread when it came out of the oven! The muffins were gone before I got home from work the next day and the bread went just as quickly!





1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Recipe - I eat this so quickly when it is in front of me!

    ReplyDelete